Japan 500 yen 47 prefectures bimetallic coin series

 

Since 2008, the Ministry of Finance of Japan has begun issuing a series of commemorative coins dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the establishment of local autonomies - prefectures. The post-war Japanese constitution of 1947, in a special chapter "On local authorities", provides for the expansion of the powers of local governments and the introduction of direct elections of local authorities by popular vote. Other name series - "The 47 Prefectures of Japan". The first in this series was a coin of the Hokkaido Governorate in December 2008. The year of issue of the last coin is 2016. The total number of bimetallic coins in the series is 47.

It is worth noting that in addition to bimetallic coins, the series also produced silver coins with a face value of 1000 yen (weight: 31.1 g, diameter: 40 mm), their total number is also 47.

General characteristics of 500 yen coins

OBVERSE
A symbolic image of one of the sights of the prefecture and hieroglyphic inscriptions: at the top - the Japanese state, at the bottom - 500 yen. In the center of the coin, on the right or left, the name of the prefecture is written in hieroglyphs and in Latin transcription.

REVERSE
The symbolic image of an ancient coin of Japan, framed by four hieroglyphs: "local autonomy". The center of the coin is made with the effect of a hidden image: when the coin is tilted down, the number 60 (anniversary period) appears, when tilted upwards, the number 47 (the number of prefectures) appears. On the edge of the coin is the motto of the collection "JAPAN 47 PREFECTURES COIN PROGRAM 500 YEN" and the year of issue corresponding to each coin.

RATE
500 yen

MATERIAL
cupro-nickel alloy / nickel brass

COMPOUND
copper 75%, zinc 12.5%, nickel 12.5%

WEIGHT (g)
7.10

DIAMETER (MM)
26.50

THICKNESS (MM)
1.95

EDGE
fluted

 

 

500 yen 47 Prefectures of Japan coins

Hokkaido

Hokkaido

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: December 10, 2008, the number of issued coins: 2100 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts Lake Toya, located on the island of Hokkaido, symbolizing the G8 summit that took place here in July 2008. In the foreground is a historical landmark of the city of Sapporo - a brick building of the former governorate of Hokkaido. This building, built in 1888, is a cultural heritage of Japan. It symbolizes the beginning of the development of the Northern territories, and is adorned with a red five-pointed star. This symbol has nothing to do with Soviet symbols, but denotes the guiding North Star. In 2008, the year of issue of this commemorative coin, the celebration of its 120th anniversary took place. Currently, the building houses a museum of the history of the development of the island of Hokkaido.

Kyoto

Kyoto

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: December 10, 2008, the number of issued coins: 2050 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the plot of one of the chapters of the masterpiece of Japanese medieval literature “The Tale of Prince Genji”. This famous novel was written
The circulation is given according to the Ministry of Finance of Japan. In the Heian era (794-1185), authorship is attributed to court lady Murasaki Shikibu. Based on his motives, pictorial scrolls were created in the same era, illustrating the scenes of the novel. Part of the scrolls has survived to this day, they were included on the cultural heritage list of Japan. The scene depicted on the coin tells how the young prince Ninou admires the beauty of his young wife Roku-nomiya in the rays of the rising sun in the Ivy chapter. Traditional culture of the Heian era of the heyday fine arts, literature and poetry is associated with ancient Kyoto, where in that era the residence of the Emperor of Japan was located.

 

Shimane

Shimane 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: December 10, 2008, number of issued coins: 1970 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts an artifact from the archaeological site of Kamo Iwakura, located in Shimane Province.

The site is known for having the largest number of dotaku, bronze bells from the Yayoi period (approximately 500 BC to 300 AD), found on its site. In the center of the coin there is a bell, which received serial number 35. The background is the drawings of animals found on the surface of the bell, which was found twenty-third. It is these two artifacts that differ in the form and motifs of the ornament from the rest of the dotaku found in other areas of Japan. Presumably, they were made in the ancient province of Izumo, which was located on the western coast of the island of Honshu in the territory of the present Shimane province, which subsequently enjoyed a large influence in medieval Japan. The study of dotaku bells - the technology of their production, the routes of their distribution - provides rich material for studying the life of the ancient society of the Yayoi era.

 

Nagano

Nagano 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 15, 2009, the number of issued coins: 1830 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the main pavilion of the Buddhist monastery Zenko: ji (Temple of Good Light) and the figure of a running bull with a fluttering linen scarf tied to the horns. The building was built in 644 the capital of the prefecture, the city of Nagano, was founded as a temple settlement near this monastery. More than 6 million people from Japan and other countries make a pilgrimage here every year. This building is a national treasure of Japan, a cultural and architectural monument, a symbol of Nagano Prefecture.

In Japan, there is a famous expression: "Hooking on a bull, I found myself in the temple of the Good Light." According to legend, an old woman who did not believe in God saw a running bull, threw a linen scarf over its horns, caught on to the bull, and the bull brought her straight to the main building of the Holy Light Temple. After that, the woman believed. The meaning of the parable is that sometimes, without thinking about anything, we simply follow good people, and fate leads us to good.

 

Niigata

Niigata 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 15, 2009, the number of issued coins: 1840 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the Toki bird, a Japanese red-legged ibis, the symbol of Niigata. This unique bird, brought in the Red Book, lives in this region. The coin depicts two birds: the male Yuyu and female Meimei. The famous terraces serve as a backdrop tanada - rice fields created in the form of terraces descending from the slopes of the mountains.

The main agricultural product for Niigata is, without a doubt, branded rice.

Koshihikari. Literally, the name of this variety is translated as "Shine of the country of Kosi." Kosi is the name of the region in the past. Considered the tastiest in Japan, the Koshihikari variety was bred by Niigata breeders in 1944. Niigata Prefecture, rich in rice, is also famous for its sake, a medium-alcohol drink, because it is also made from rice!

 

Ibaraki

Ibaraki 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 20, 2010, the number of issued coins: 1870 thousand pieces.

The coin, dedicated to Ibaraki Prefecture, depicts one of Japan's three most famous traditional gardens, Kairakuen, and a plum tree. This beautiful garden is located in the prefectural capital city of Mito. It was built by the 9th shogun Tokugawa Noriaki in 1842. It is the second largest urban park in the world, second only to Central Park in New York. 3,000 plum trees of 100 varieties grow here. In the park is the villa of the shogun Ko: bun-tei (Plum Villa) and the famous hall for practicing kyudo (Japanese archery). Tea ceremonies and competitions of poets were often held here, the crown prince, the future emperor Taisho, stopped. The villa burned down twice: in 1945 from a dropped bomb and in 1969 from a lightning strike. The cultural significance of the park is indicated on a stone on the path leading from the Black Gate deep into the garden: Kairakuen symbolizes the harmony of yin-yang in nature. Bamboo and cryptomeria, growing in a grove in the western part of the park, symbolize the feminine yin is dark and changeable, and the plum grove in the northeastern part is light and constant, strong yang.

 

Nara

Nara 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 20, 2010, the number of issued coins: 1800 thousand pieces.

The capital of the prefecture, Nara, is the first capital of Japan in the ancient period from 710 to 784, 8 known in Japanese historiography as the Nara era. The capital was built on the model of the Chinese capital Chang'an. Many Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines from that era remain in Nara. The obverse of the coin depicts a ship on a mission from China.

The image of this ship was copied from the famous written monument of the late 13th century - a scroll with illustrations of the Toseiden emakimono. On this ship, the Buddhist monk Gandzin (Chinese Jianzhen) arrived in Japan, who transmitted the teachings of the Buddha to the Japanese islands. It is symbolic that in modern Japan his mission is understood as an example of the international cultural exchange of that era. The scroll tells of the long and difficult journey from China to Japan that Ganjin made. Being invited to Japan by the Japanese emperor, Ganjin was able to swim to the Japanese archipelago only on the fifth attempt: either due to bad weather at sea, the ships were forced to turn back, then the ship was shipwrecked, then Chinese officials repaired barriers... Ganjin spent three years, to sail to Japan. In Japan, he served in the main Buddhist temple Todaiji,

 

Koti

Koti 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 21, 2010, the number of issued coins: 1960 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the popular politician of the Edo period (1603-1868) Sakamoto Ryoma. The political system of the era Edo is characterized by the absolute power of the country's supreme military leader, the Tokugawa shogun. The shogunate pursued a "foreigner expulsion" policy that forbade all foreign policy contacts of the country, including trade. Sakamoto Ryoma was born on January 3, 1836 in the village of Kochi. His active social activity brought him to the leaders of the new political movement that fought for Japan's exit from self-isolation. The main goal of the reformers was the overthrow of the shogunate and the creation of a modern government that actively cooperates with world powers for the benefit of its citizens. In 1867, the coup d'état plan was put into practice: the shogun renounced his title and resigned his powers as the military ruler of the country, returning full state power to the emperor.
Since 1868, Japan entered a new era, called Meiji, the era of modernization and enlightenment. Sakamoto Ryoma himself was killed by supporters of the collapsed shogunate at the age of 32. Despite the fact that the life of this politician was short, in modern Japan he is revered as a national hero, and his unusual fate inspires many writers and directors to this day.

 

 

Gifu

Gifu 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 21, 2010, the number of issued coins: 1860 thousand pieces.

On the obverse of the coin, we see astragalus flowers in the foreground. The Chinese Astragalus is the symbol of Gifu Prefecture. In the background are three wooden buildings with steep thatched roofs. The three buildings symbolize the pride of Gifu Prefecture, the historic village of Shirakawa-go, which was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1995. The village is located in a remote mountainous area of ​​the island of Honshu, where winters are characterized by heavy snowfalls. The original triangular roofs of houses in the village of Shirakawa-go are ideally suited for natural snowfall. These unique objects of traditional architecture are carefully protected state in its original form.

 

Fukui

Fukui 

 

The coin depicts dinosaurs, the fossilized remains of which were found in the city of Katsuyama, Fukui Prefecture. Fukuiraptor in the foreground, Fukuisaurus in the background. The first species is classified as a species of carnivores dinosaurs from the group of carnosaurs. Presumably, the length of his body was 4.2 meters. Fukuiraptor bones have been found in layers dating back to the Cretaceous period (approximately 120 million years ago). This discovery made it possible to isolate a new, different from previously studied, subspecies of dinosaurs, alive in this region many millions of years ago. The second dinosaur depicted on the coin, Fukuisaurus, belongs to the Iguanodontidae family. The first find of Fukuisaurus remains was made in 1989. It was an important scientific discovery, as it proved a much wider distribution of iguanodontids in Asia than previously thought. Fukuiraptor and Fukuisaurus bones are kept in the Fukui Prefectural Archaeological Museum, which is considered to be the largest and most famous in the country. In 2010, the same year the coin was issued, the museum celebrated its 10th anniversary.

 

Aichi

Aichi 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 19, 2011, the number of issued coins: 1950 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts the Aichi Prefectural Government Building and iris flowers. The prefectural government building was built in 1938. The architecture is in the neoclassical Teikan-zukuri style, came into vogue at the beginning of the 20th century. The classic Tei-kan-zukuri underlies the architecture of medieval Japanese castles. At the end of the 19th century, this style received new distribution in the construction of monumental administrative buildings. It is characterized by the presence of a tiled roof imitating the main the tower of a medieval Japanese castle, bas-reliefs depicting a Japanese chrysanthemum, symmetrically diverging from the center of the strict facade of the building, imitating covered galleries.
This historic building is part of the tangible cultural heritage of Japan. The second image on the coin is iris flowers, the symbol of Aichi Prefecture. Not far from the small town of Kariya, on Lake Kozutsumi, the third largest natural iris field in Japan blooms every year. Thousands of tourists from all over Japan come here in May to admire the wild irises. The lake is protected as a national reserve.

 

Aomori

Aomori 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 19, 2011, the number of issued coins: 1900 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts an archaeological monument of the Neolithic era - the Sannai-Maruyama site and 2 clay figurines of dogu, sim volizyvayuschie culture of the ancient Japanese of the Jomon period (5th century BC). The San-nai-Maruyama site was discovered by archaeologists in the area of ​​the city of Aomori on the slope of Mount Maruyama. It is the remains of a large settlement, in which, according to scientists, from 100 to 200 people lived. In the dated period, the Japanese were just beginning to lead a sedentary lifestyle, on average, settlements numbered no more than 20 people. In addition to traces of dwellings, barns, garbage heaps, a large tower-like structure, presumably for religious purposes, has been preserved on the territory of the Sannay site. During the excavation of the monument, a large number of clay dogu figurines were found. The figurines depicted on the coin represent the two most typical types: shakoki-dogu (figurine with glasses) and gassho-dogu (figurine with hands folded in prayer). Shakoki-dogu got its name from the unusual shape of the eyes, resembling large eyepieces with narrow slits. Dogu figurines are a vivid illustration of the ancient art, they are recognized as a national treasure of Japan and are kept in the Tokyo National Museum.

 

Saga

Saga 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 19, 2011, the number of issued coins: 1910 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts a portrait of the famous politician, financier, diplomat Ookuma Shigenobu (life: 1838-1922) against the background of traditional handmade brocade ornament made in Saga prefecture. Ookuma Shigenobu entered the history of Japan not only as the 8th and 17th Prime Minister, but also as the founder of one one of the largest and most prestigious universities in Japan is Waseda University. He also initiated the introduction of a new state currency, which was the modern yen. 2011 marked the 140th anniversary of the official introduction of the yen into circulation. On the recommendation of Ookuma Shigenobu, the original handmade saganishiki brocade, the ornament of which is depicted on the coin, was presented at the International Fair in London in 1910, earning the most flattering reviews from visitors to the exhibition.
Japanese manufacturers received large orders from European trading companies. The creation of saganishiki brocade consists in using, along with silk, gold thread made from gold foil and fibers of traditional Japanese washi paper.

 

Toyama

Toyama 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 20, 2011, the number of issued coins: 1800 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts two dancing figures: on the left - a woman, on the right - a man. Dancers perform traditional dance of Owarakaze no Bon. The Bon holiday is celebrated throughout Japan. Its tradition is connected with the ritual of commemoration of the souls of deceased relatives. Since ancient times it was believed that from August 13 to 15, the souls of the dead return to the living and visit their relatives. In order for the spirits not to get lost in the dark, people decorate their houses and streets with many burning lanterns, which is why this holiday is also called the "Lantern Festival".

In Toyama, in the village of Yatsuo, this traditional festival is celebrated from September 1 to 3 and has its own original history. From the beginning of September, strong typhoons came to this region for a long time, destroying the harvest, so the rite of “pacifying the wind” was included in the ritual of the holiday. Young people: unmarried girls and single guys dress in traditional clothes, cover their heads with straw hats that hide their faces, and dance a ritual dance, moving in a colorful column along the main street of the village. The faces, according to the ritual, should be hidden from the wrath of the deities, whom people try to propitiate with singing and dancing. The festival uses a rare kokyu musical instrument, accompanied by a sad song. This particular style of music is unique in the region.

 

Kumamoto

Kumamoto 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 20, 2011, the number of issued coins: 1870 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the main Tenshu Tower and the fortress wall of Kumamoto Castle. Kumamoto Castle, also known as Crow Castle, was built in 1607 by Prince Kato Kiyomasa. In 1877, a significant part of the castle was destroyed as a result of a long siege during the Satsuma uprising. During the half of the 20th century, the castle was restored, the main Tenshu tower was opened in 1960.
Parts of the castle have become important artifacts for the study of Japanese history, they have been included in the list of national treasures. Fortress wall, image coin, has an original design. The slope of the wall, sharply increasing towards the top, did not allow the attackers to easily climb the stone masonry and climb over the fence. Therefore, it got its own name - "the wall that puts enemies to flight."

 

 

Tottori

Tottori 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 20, 2011, the number of issued coins: 1770 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts a part of the Sanbutsuji Buddhist temple complex - the Nagaire-do chapel, located on the very top of Mount Mitoku. Mount Mitoku is one of the most beautiful natural attractions in Tottori Prefecture. It is included in the list of the most picturesque places in Japan.

The peculiarity of the Nagaire-do chapel is that it was built in a cleft of an almost sheer cliff at a height of 520 meters at the end of the Heian era (794-1185). According to legend, the founder of the temple, the hermit monk En no Ozunu, raised the temple to the top of the mountain with the help of supernatural power, which he gained through persistent meditation and reading the sutras. That is why, according to legend, the temple was called "Nagaire-do", which literally translates as "temple abandoned on the mountain." The Sanbutsuji temple complex and the Nagaire-do shrine are listed as National Treasures of Japan.

 

Whitefish

whitefish 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 18, 2012, the number of issued coins: 1770 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts giant burbot and golden carp, endemic to Lake Biwa, located in Shiga Prefecture. Lake Biwa is the largest freshwater lake in Japan, covering an area of ​​3,174 km2 and Stu about 63 km. The clean and clear water of the lake is an excellent habitat for more than 1100 species of fauna. Among them there are also unique endemic forms. The giant burbot of Lake Biwa was discovered and registered as a new subspecies in 1961. Its body length reaches 120 cm. This fish is also considered a long-liver, life expectancy is up to 20 years. Golden carp, as well as giant burbot, lives in the only place on the planet - in Lake Biwa. This is not a very large fish, the body length reaches an average of 20-40 cm. However, golden carp meat is considered an exquisite delicacy. Golden carp is listed in the Red Book and is protected by the state. There are many hatcheries in Shiga Prefecture where this fish is bred to maintain the population and ecological balance of Lake Biwa.

 

Iwate

Iwate 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 18, 2012, the number of issued coins: 1790 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts the outer pavilion of the golden hall of Chuseonji Monastery and a scene from the Heian era (794-1185) poetic game "Feast at Bent Water". Buddhist Chusonji Monastery, located in Hiraizumi, Iwate Prefecture, was founded in 850.
In the XII-XIII centuries, he played an important political role in the country. It was at this time that a large number of structures for various purposes were erected on its territory: cells of monks, a dining hall, a hall of centenarians, a bell tower, and the Golden Hall. To protect Zolo of that ceremonial hall from winds, rains and bad weather, an additional external pavilion was built. The outer pavilion of the Golden Hall along with others buildings of the monastery are included in the list of national treasures of Japan. In front of the stairs leading to the pavilion, on the coin we see a figure dressed in traditional clothes from the Heian period. Symbol images the medieval tradition of poetic tournaments, which were held by aristocrats in the picturesque corners of the lush temple gardens. Currently, the scientific community is supported by the government prefecture is engaged in the historical reconstruction of this important element of medieval culture. Every year on the fourth Sunday of May, a festival is held in the garden of Motsu-ji Temple, where you can see the poetry tournament "Feast at the Bent Water".

 

Akita

Akita 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 18, 2012, the number of issued coins: 1740 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts the famous Japanese traveler Shirase Nobu and the lanterns of the famous Akita Kanto festival. Shirase Nobu born in the village of Konoura, Akita Prefecture. Since childhood, his dream was to conquer Antarctica.
After spending 40 years of his life, he realized his plan. In 1910, Shirase Nobu led the Japanese Antarctic Expedition. On January 16, 1912, the group landed on the Antarctic continent, however, due to a lack of provisions and equipment, the Shirase Nobu research team turned back without reaching the South Pole of the Earth. However, Shirase returned home a national hero, his journey causing a rise in patriotic spirit in the country. Subsequently, the icebreaker Shirase was named after him. The lanterns depicted on the coin next to the portrait of Shirase Nobu are the symbol of the colorful Akita Kanto festival, held annually from August 5 to 7. The main attribute of the holiday is multi-storey garlands of paper lanterns, which are skillfully carried through the streets of Akita by skilled porters. Each of them competes in the ability to hold a giant structure in the palm of one hand, on the forehead or chin. It's a fascinating sight come here to see numerous tourists from all over the country.

 

Okinawa

Okinawa 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 18, 2012, the number of issued coins: 1760 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin symbolically depicts two famous festivals held annually on the island of Okinawa. The first image is a thick rope, symbolizing the traditional Otsunahiki festival, the main action of which is dedicated to pulling a giant rope. The history of this custom goes back to the middle XV century, when a separate state of Ryukyu existed on the territory of Okinawa. The tug-of-war ritual was held annually in the fall for the prosperity of the Ryukyu Dynasty. Now the festival is held by the municipality of the city of Naha with the wishes of happiness, health and well-being of all citizens, gathering on the main street of the city more than 15 thousand residents and guests of the city. Divided into two teams participants pull a giant straw rope that weighs over 40 tons.

The second image on the coin is a dancer with a drum, symbolizing the festival of Ace. Eisa is a dance festival held on the island of Okinawa every year in August, during the traditional Japanese ancestral obon festival. A colorful parade of young people performing a ritual dance to the beat of drums passes through the main streets of cities in Okinawa Prefecture.

 

Kanagawa

Kanagawa 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 18, 2012, the number of issued coins: 1890 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts a statue of the Big Buddha. The Big Buddha is a world-famous landmark located in the Kamakura city of the prefecture Kanagawa. Kamakura is an ancient city, after which an entire historical period from 1185 to 1333 was named.
During this period of Japanese history, there was the main headquarters of the shogunate, which established centralized power in the state. During this period, the Buddhist teachings of Zen became widespread. In the country temples and monasteries were built everywhere, erected statues of Buddha. One of them is especially revered and grandiose: the Big Buddha in the city of Kamakura was cast in bronze in 1252. The statue is 11.5 meters high and weighs 93 tons. It is a symbol of a peaceful and prosperous state. In 1897, the Big Buddha in Kamakura was declared a national treasure in Japan.

 

 

Miyazaki

Miyazaki 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 18, 2012, the number of issued coins: 1740 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the historical building of the Miyazaki Prefectural Administration, located on the island of Kyushu. It was built in 1932 and is one of the oldest prefectural government buildings in Japan. The building has 5 floors, including one under earthly. The architecture of the building is made in the Neo-Gothic style, the facade is decorated with four majestic columns. An evergreen alley stretches in front of the main entrance from specially planted trees - symbols of the prefecture. Among them: date palm, sago palm and agave. Nowadays, due to its unique fauna, this prefecture has become a real Mecca for honeymoon trips.

 

Tochigi

Tochigi 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 16, 2013, the number of issued coins: 1800 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the bas-reliefs of a "sleeping cat" and a "sparrow" decorating the passage of the main attraction of Tochigi Prefecture - the temple Toshogu complex, located in the Nikko mountains. Toshogu Temple in Nikko is dedicated to the founder of the shogun dynasty, Tokugawa Ieyasu. During the lifetime of Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered his subjects to build a sanctuary on this site after his death, where part of his relics, so that his spirit would protect the capital from "enemies from the north." According to legend, the bas-relief was created by the famous master Jingoro Lefty. The legend says that the master made all his masterpieces with his left hand, since envious competitors cut off his right hand. The bas-relief is located above the narrow door leading to the interior of the temple. On one side of the aisle is a sleeping cat, on the other a sparrow. The whole composition symbolizes the peaceful coexistence of the once warring parties, the reign of peace and tranquility after the era of civil strife and wars. The Toshogu Temple Complex was declared a National Treasure of Japan in 1951.

 

Oita

Oita 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 16, 2013, the number of issued coins: 1790 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts the main stone statue of Buddha Dainichinyorai (Skt. - Wairo-chana), which is located in the city of Usuki, Oita Prefecture, located located on the island of Kyushu. The stone Buddha statues, known as the Usuki Stone Buddhas, are located in a grotto-gallery carved directly into the rock.
In the middle is the main sculpture - Buddha Vairochana, dominant in the early schools of Buddhism in Japan. The history of the creation of the Usuki Buddhas dates back to the 10th-12th centuries. The exact time of the creation of the sculptures is unknown, since historical evidence has not been preserved. Local legend and chronicle monuments report their creation in the second half of the 6th century and associate this with the name of Emperor Yomei. But artistic analysis and archaeological data testify to a later origin.
In 1995, the Usuki Stone Buddha was registered as a National Cultural Treasure.

 

Hyogo

Hyogo 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 16, 2013, the number of issued coins: 1800 thousand pieces.

Hyogo Prefecture and its capital, the port city of Kobe, are located on the coast of the Inland Sea of ​​Japan, so throughout their history they have played a special role in the development of Japan's foreign trade with foreign countries. The name Hyogo was given during the name of Emperor Tenji (7th century CE), and means "weapon stores", because this is where they and located.
A coin dedicated to Hyogo Prefecture depicts two Far Eastern storks. The growth of adults reaches 115 cm, and the wingspan in flight exceeds 2 meters! The habitat of these beautiful birds is the Hyogo National Park. This is a scientific and ecological complex for breeding, supporting the population of storks, as well as their adaptation in the wild. It is curious that in 1986 the last individuals born and raised in Japan died, but since there were already reasons to foresee their disappearance, in 1985 stork chicks were brought from Russia. The birds have taken root well in Japan, and their population at the end of 2011 consisted of about 150 individuals. Hyogo also has a Shinto sky temple, where the stork is revered.

 

Miyagi

Miyagi 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 17, 2013, the number of issued coins: 1700 thousand pieces.

Miyagi is located on the Pacific coast of the northeastern part of the island of Honshu. It was she who suffered from the devastating earthquake and tsunami on March 11 2011, which claimed the lives of about 18,500 people. But the symbol of the prefecture on the coin is the ancient romantic holiday of Tanabata in the capital of the prefecture, the city of Sendai, emphasizing that the inhabitants of Miyagi, despite all natural disasters, cherish traditions and know how to enjoy life. This is one of the main ritual holidays of the year along with the New Year.
It is held from 6 to 8 August. The Tanabata festival is also held in other parts of Japan, but a month earlier than July 7th. According to legend, the boy-boothes and the girl-weaver fell in love with each other, but in this life they were not destined to be together. So two stars of the same name appeared in the sky, separated by the Milky Way. And only for a few days in the summer they are allowed to approach each other. This happens on the Tanabata holiday. Date Masamune, the ruler of Sendai, at the beginning of the 17th century ordered the Tanabata festival to be widely celebrated so that women could become more involved in culture. Since then, every year the streets of Sendai are decorated with colorful large balls of paper flowers with hanging long garlands, they sway in the wind, echoing the sounds of the August breeze. The shopping street is busier than usual, many tourists from all over Japan come to the festiva.

 

Hiroshima

Hiroshima 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 17, 2013, the number of issued coins: 1700 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin, dedicated to Hiroshima, depicts the prefecture's sad symbol, the "Atomic Dome" in the Peace Memorial Park. The building was built in 1915 under the direction of the Czech architect Jan Letzel and served as the Exhibition Center for the Industrial Production of Hiroshima Prefecture. On August 6, 1945, Hiroshima was subjected to an atomic bombing, and the building of the Exhibition Center fell into the epicenter of the explosion. The buildings around were destroyed or burned, and only dilapidated walls remained of the Atomic Dome. In this unchanged form, it still reminds of the horrors of war. In December 1996, the Atomic Dome was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A documentary example of the atomic bombing - it still sounds like a call for peace for all the inhabitants of the planet. Around the Atomic Dome the Peace Memorial Park is broken, there is also a museum, the exposition of which is dedicated to the history of the atomic bombing and its consequences. In the central room of the Atomic Dome, the names of people and residents of Hiroshima and foreigners who died as a result of these tragic events are carved on a stone stele. Hiroshima has been rebuilt and is a city of hope and call for peace.

 

Gumma

Gumma 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 17, 2013, the number of issued coins: 1720 thousand pieces.

As an illustration of Gunma Prefecture, a girl was chosen - a worker of the Tomioka silk weaving factory and a commemorative stone in front of the main entrance of the factory. The silk weaving factory was built and opened in 1872 in the city of Tomioka, Gunma Prefecture. It is one of Japan's oldest modern format textile factories. The construction of the factory took place during the period of modernization of Japan, the active introduction of Western technologies. At the most modern factory by the standards of that time, 400 working girls from all over Japan worked. For the first time, Japanese women began to work in an industrial enterprise.
The factory became one of the symbols of the industrial revolution in Japan, and Japanese silk was exported to Europe and America. The owners of the factory changed, production expanded, new buildings were built. There was a silkworm breeding farm, and cold warehouses where cocoons were stored, and workshops where threads were wound, and even a school for training workers, a hostel. Silk production at the factory continued until 1986, when, under the influence of the changing economic situation, silk production in Tomioka ceased to be profitable. Subsequently, the factory was included in the list of historical monuments of national importance. In 2005, the factory was opened to the public, and now it houses a museum and tourist complex.

 

 

Okayama

Okayama 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 15, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1660 thousand pieces.

Okayama Prefecture is located southwest of Osaka and Kyoto in the Chugoku region on the coast of the Inland Sea of ​​Japan.
In times of feudal fragmentation. There was a strong militarily and handicraft principality here, which was headed by the famous feudal clans of Ikeda and Mori. It was the representative of the Ikeda clan, the daimyo (governor of the province) Ikeda Tsunamasa, who founded and built the magnificent Japanese traditional Korakuen garden. The image of the Korakuen garden, presented on the commemorative coin, symbolizes Okayama Prefecture. Korakuen Park is one of the Three Great Gardens of Japan. It was laid out in 1687 and fully completed in 1702.
The original name of the park was "later built garden" because it was built after the Ikeda family castle was built. After the fall of the shogunate, the young emperor Meiji issued a decree on the destruction of many castles - military installations that pose a potential danger to the new government. Okayama Castle was also destroyed, but the park remained untouched. Therefore, the Ikeda family was forced to move to a small living pavilion in the garden. Experiencing financial difficulties and being unable to support park, she wanted to sell the property, but was opposed by the council and prefectural government, who emphasized the park's cultural significance as a historical landmark in Okayama. As a result, the park was bought from the family by the local administration and opened to the public. Now the landscape design with ponds and bridges, all trees and plants, the tea pavilion and other buildings are carefully preserved in the park. The total area of ​​the park is 133 thousand m2 .

 

Shizuoka

Shizuoka 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 15, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1700 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts tea fields on the slopes of Mount Fuji, the most popular symbol of Japan. Mount Fuzdi - the highest in Japan, is an extinct volcano with a height of 3776 meters. The legendary mountain has long been an object of worship for the Japanese and lived as a source of inspiration for artists, poets and musicians. The mountain has a large area at the base, and its slopes are located in different prefectures. But the main pride of Shizuoka is the famous tea plantations. According to legend, the cultivation of tea in Shizuoka began in 1241, when a Buddhist monk, Saint Shoichikokushi, brought tea seeds from China and decided to grow them in his native places in Shizuoka. It is said that the tea of ​​the holy Shoichikokushi preserves youth and promotes longevity. Every year on November 1st, the birthday of the holy monk, Shizuoka celebrates Tea Day.

At present, the area of ​​tea plantations in the prefecture is more than 185 km2 , and the largest amount of green tea is produced here annually - 33,500 tons, which is 40% of all tea produced in Japan.

 

Yamanashi

Yamanashi 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 15, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1670 thousand pieces.

Yamanashi is another prefecture where the slopes of Mount Fuji descend. Here the climate is most favorable for growing grapes. It is these symbols depicted on the obverse of the coin. The Koshu grape variety cultivated in Yamanashi belongs to the East Asian group, is of European origin and is used for making white wines. According to legend, in 1186, a man named Amemiya Kageyu walked along a mountain path to a traditional Buddhist holiday (Sekisonsai holiday). An amazing and hitherto unseen sprout caught his eye. He dug it up, brought it home and planted it. Five years later he collected the first harvest of sweet fruits. But this is not the only legend about how people found grapes. The mystery of the penetration of European grape seeds into Japan has not yet been solved. For many centuries, the Japanese have enjoyed raw Yamanashi grapes, and they began to make wine relatively recently - from the second half of the 19th century. Now wines from Yamanashi grapes are even exported to Europe.

 

Kagoshima

Kagoshima 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 15, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1660 thousand pieces.

Kagoshima Prefecture is located in the south of Kyushu, and it includes a lot of both inhabited and uninhabited islands. One of them - the island of Sakurajima - is located on the coin. This is an island-volcano with a total area of ​​77 km 2 in Kagoshima Bay. Before 1914 Sakurajima, as its name says "sakura island", was a real island. But as a result volcanic eruptions frozen lava flows connected Sakurajima to the mainland. The volcano formed about 26 thousand years ago and is quite young from a geological point of view. His active work is still the object of close attention of scientists. It is one of 16 special volcanoes studied by the World Scientific Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth.

This unique Sakurajima volcano is rightfully considered one of the symbols of Kagoshima, attracting many tourists. Here you can also buy rare souvenirs, for example, a volcanic lava pan for barbecue.

 

Ehime

Ehime 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 16, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1650 thousand pieces.

Ehime Prefecture Coin Shows Setonai Road and Bridge on land and sea and connecting Ehime Prefecture on the island of Shikoku and Hiroshima on Honshu. The road was put into operation in 1999. In addition to the highway, it includes specialized paths along which you can cross the strait that separates Honshu and Shikoku, both on foot and by bicycle. The Kuroshima-Kaikyo Suspension Bridge consists of three sectors, based on islands, and has a length of 4105 km. The bridge is depicted against the background of a range of islands scattered along the coast, which are also part of Ehime Prefecture. In 1934, a unique national park "Inland Sea of ​​Japan Marine Park" was created on these islands, which became the first national park in Japan.

 

 

Yamagata

Yamagata 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 15, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1660 thousand pieces.

A coin dedicated to Yamagata Prefecture depicts a female jōmon clay figurine. The era of Jomon ("rope ny ornament") corresponds to the Neolithic era (from 13000 BC to 300 BC)

Its feature is the distribution of potters culture and the use of ceramic products by the inhabitants of the Japanese archipelago. Especially many archaeological finds of this era were made in the northeastern region of the island of Honshu, in the region where Yamagata Prefecture is located. The figurine of the goddess Jomon, as archaeologists called her, was found in the city of Funagata, Yamagata Prefecture in 1992 during the excavation of the Nishi no mae mound. This is the highest - 45 cm - clay dogu figurine, which was found in Japan. Scholars estimate that it was made about 4,500 years ago during the middle Jōmon period. For the beauty of the form and elegance, she was called the "Goddess Jomon". The figurine is stored in the Yamagata Prefectural Museum, in 2012 it was declared a national cultural property.

 

Mie

Mie 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 15, 2014, the number of issued coins: 1670 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin in honor of Mie Prefecture depicts one of the Kumanokodo pilgrimage trails leading from the main Shinto shrines in Ise to the three sacred mountains of Kumano - the great Shinto shrines of Kumano: Hongu-taisha, Hayatama-taisha and Nachi-taisha. The trails cross Mie, Nara, Wakayama and Osaka prefectures. These pilgrimage trails have existed since the Heian era (9th-12th centuries). The longest Iseji trail is 160 km. Once upon a time in the Edo period (XVII-XIX centuries), it was very busy: the Japanese liked to make pilgrimages on foot from Ise to Kumano. The features of the trails are that they partially preserved the ancient stones with which they were originally paved. The stone paving of the trails was made because this area of ​​Japan has long received the largest amount of precipitation in the form of rain. In 2004, three trails became UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

 

Kagawa

Kagawa 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 21, 2015, the number of issued coins: 1630 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin depicts a landscape representing Kagawa Prefecture: a view from the Shinto shrine of Kompira towards the Sanuki Valley. This shrine is dedicated to the gods protecting seafarers and fishermen, and annually up to 3 million people make a pilgrimage here. The pilgrimage trail is a long stone staircase. 785 steps lead to the main temple, and 1368 steps to the inner altars. Many Shrine pavilions such as the Shoin Treasury of Scrolls or the Altar of the Rising Sun have the status of cultural heritage in Japan. Masterpieces of art and the most important cultural monuments are kept here. From the observation deck of the sanctuary, a panoramic view of the green Sanuki plain surrounded by mountains opens up. In shape, it resembles a Japanese onigiri rice ball and is strewn with artificial ponds - all this gives the landscape its originality.

 

Saitama

Saitama 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 21, 2015, the number of issued coins: 1780 thousand pieces.

Saitama Prefecture is located in close proximity to Tokyo and can be said to be a residential area, comfort a place to live for Japanese people working in Tokyo. The Saitama Prefecture coin depicts the Saitama Arena - modern sports facility built by 2002. Its capacity is 63,700 people. It is the largest football stadium in Japan and the largest in Asia. It hosted matches of the 2002 FIFA World Cup, which was held in Japan and South Korea. It also hosts matches of the regular Japanese football championship and other sports competitions, as well as cultural events.

 

Ishikawa

Ishikawa 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 21, 2015, the number of issued coins: 1660 thousand pieces.

The obverse of the coin, dedicated to Ishikawa Prefecture, depicts a view from Kiba Bay to the Hakusan stratovolcano and the traditional Kiriko festival. This is the most beautiful scenery of the prefecture. Mount Hakusan is considered one of the three most beautiful mountains in Japan along with Mount Fuji and Tateyama. In the vicinity of the mountain, many rare plants grow, relic beech groves and a special ecological system has formed, so in 1962 a national reserve was established here. There are many lakes and snowy slopes, offering picturesque views of mountains, bays and lagoons. Kiriko Festival is a traditional ancient festival in Ishikawa Prefecture. Kiriko are huge luminous lanterns 12 meters high and weighing up to 2 tons. Rectangular lanterns with large hieroglyphs written on them, festively decorated roofs crown the lanterns. During festive processions, luminous lanterns are carried along the streets of the city to folk songs and cries. About 100 people carry one lantern. The oldest mention of the holiday dates back to 1647 in the annals of the local Shinto shrine. The holiday is associated with the agricultural calendar.

 

Yamaguchi

Yamaguchi 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 15, 2015, the number of issued coins: 1610 thousand pieces.

The five-story pagoda (Buddhist religious building in the form of a tower with tiered roofs) of the Ruriko Monastery was chosen as the symbol of Yamaguchi Prefecture, which is located in the prefectural capital city of Yamaguchi. The pagoda has the status of a monument of national cultural heritage. The building was built by order of the 26th prince Moriharu from the Ouchi clan in memory of the deceased elder brother, and in 1442 its construction was completed. Being a cultural monument of the Muromachi era (1336-1573), this place of worship is considered the most prominent representative of the culture of the Ouchi family in architecture. The height of the tower is 31.2 meters.
It is one of the ten oldest and three most beautiful pagodas in Japan. Rod Outi, who ruled this region for two hundred years, managed to develop reliable economic and trade ties with China and Korea, it was in Yamaguchi that and the first Europeans, including the Christian missionary Francis Xavier, who is considered one of the first Christian priests to arrive in Japan and pass on the teachings of Christ to the Japanese. The economic position of Yamaguchi was the most stable during this historical period in Japan. The beauty of the city was not inferior to Kyoto, and it is no coincidence that it was called the "Western Capital".

 

 

Tokushima

Tokushima 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 15, 2015, the number of issued coins: 1630 thousand pieces.

On the obverse of the coin, dedicated to Tokushima Prefecture, dancers are depicted: a man and a woman - the folk dance Awa-odori (Country Ava - ancient the name of this region). This ancient traditional the dance has a history of more than four hundred years, and thanks to it, Tokushima Prefecture is known throughout the world. It is performed annually in mid-August from 12 to 15 on the O-Bon holiday, a Buddhist holiday to commemorate ancestors. It is believed that in the days of O-bon the souls of the departed return to visit their families. The dance is performed in colorful costumes to the accompaniment of shamisen - a 3-stringed instrument like a lute, Japanese drums and flutes. It is also accompanied by brave rhythmic cries, the size of the dance is two-quarters.
The origins of the dance go back to the Buddhist ritual dances of furyu, with which the pro origin of the Japanese traditional mask theater No. The folk story of the origin of the dance says that after the completion of the construction of the samurai castle, a holiday was arranged and a decree was issued "dance as you like." Since then, the dance has continued every year. It is noteworthy that the residents of the prefecture liked the holiday so much that the government was forced to issue a decree on the timing of the dance carnival - no more than three days. Now, every year, 1 million 200 thousand tourists from around the world come to see Ava-odori.

 

Fukuoka

Fukuoka 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: July 15, 2015, the number of issued coins: 1680 thousand pieces.

The coin dedicated to Fukuoka Prefecture depicts the building of the State Museum of Kyushu Island, the Taiko-bashi bridge in the Dazaifu Shrine - temmangu and plum blossoms. The Kyushu Museum of Local Lore was opened in October 2005. Its concept was conceived as a presentation of Japanese culture in the context of pan-Asian history. Dazaifu-tenmangu shrine was founded in the 10th century AD. e. in honor of Saint Sugawara Michizane, scholar and educator. Being highly educated, he made a brilliant career in the capital, but then fate decreed that he was exiled as the supreme ruler in the province. Here, in Kyushu, he died, never accustomed to exile.
During the difficult period of internecine wars in the 16th century, the sanctuary was partially destroyed, but many buildings were restored. The sacred Taiko-bashi bridge on the territory of the temple complex was built over a pond in the form of the character "soul". It is believed that Shinto deities cross this pond. This bridge symbolically consists of three bridges, embodying three Buddhist concepts: "past", "present" and "future". Worshipers place their palms together in prayer as they cross this bridge. Plum was Sugawara Michizane's favorite flower, so over 6,000 trees were planted on the grounds of the shrine. This sanctuary patronizes sciences, students and researchers.

 

Wakayama

Wakayama 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 20, 2016, the number of issued coins: 1610 thousand pieces.

The coin depicts the nature symbol of Wakayama Prefecture, the Nachi-notaki waterfall. The small river Nachi that flows in this area, overcoming the mountainous terrain in the town of Nachi-Katsuura, forms a waterfall.

Water falls in a vertical stream from a height of 133 meters, while the width of the river at the top of the waterfall is 13 meters. However, the waterfall is interesting not only from the point of view of the natural landscape, but, first of all, as part of the spiritual culture of Japan. Behind the falls lies the virgin forest of Nachi, and in front of it lies the pilgrimage trail to the Kumano Nachi Taisha Shinto shrine. It is believed that the spirit of the waterfall lives in the sanctuary and the forest is also inhabited by spirits. The red shrine - the room where the Shinto prayer is performed - is in harmony with the falling water and the primeval forest, creating the unique beauty of the unity of nature and the divine principle. The sanctuary was associated with many Buddhist temples, which were liquidated at the end of the 19th century by decree on the separation of religions - Buddhism and Shinto.

 

Osaka

Osaka 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 20, 2016, the number of issued coins: 1700 thousand pieces.

The Osaka metropolis, the third most populated city in Japan, is the capital of the prefecture of the same name, which, along with Kyoto, has a special status emphasizing the important role of Osaka with economic, political and cultural tour points of view. It was in the area of ​​\u200b\u200bmodern Osaka that Japanese statehood was born and the first emperors built the new state of Yamato. The coin dedicated to this prefecture depicts the kofun mound of the 16th Emperor of Japan, Nintoku, who ruled in the 4th century AD. e. The barrow dates back to the second half of the 4th - beginning of the 5th century AD. e.
This is the most pain shoi, the so-called keyhole-shaped kofun, when the circle is connected to an elongated triangular base. Its perimeter length is 486 meters, but if you count together with the adjacent ditches, which are also part of the barrow complex, then it will be 840 meters. This grand mound has become a symbol of power. Not only Nintoku is buried here, but also other emperors and members of their families. This is one of the largest ancient burial sites in the world, along with the Egyptian pyramids and the tombs of Chinese emperors. Around the main burial there are many small "keyholes" - apparently, the burials of people of a lower rank. The main burial has a seven-stage structure. In 2010, the Nintoku Mound was inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List.

 

Nagasaki

Nagasaki 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 20, 2016, the number of issued coins: 1600 thousand pieces.

On the obverse of the coin dedicated to Nagasaki, the building of Oura Roman Catholic Church in Nagasaki, famous for its frontal stained-glass windows. Church of Oura built in honor of 26 Japanese martyrs - the first Japanese Christians executed by crucifixion on the orders of Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1597 in Nagasaki for professing Christianity. Oura Church is one of two Western-style architectural structures that have been designated a cultural treasure of Japan (1953). The construction of the church was completed in 1864. Now masses are held in the church and it is open to tourists. The special pride of the church is its frontal stained-glass windows, which are emphasized in the image on the coin. Stained glass windows are inserted into the arched windows, they depict the crucified Jesus, the grieving Virgin Mary and scenes from the Holy Scriptures. The stained-glass windows are made up of separate glass fragments and are distinguished by a rich color palette. For Japan, Nagasaki, where the first Europeans arrived, and Oura Church are symbols of the entry of Western culture and Christianity into Japan.

 

TIBA

TIBA 

 

Date of release of the coin into circulation: January 20, 2016, the number of issued coins: 1680 thousand pieces.

The Chiba Prefecture Commemorative Coin depicts the Pacific Coast in Chiba Prefecture on the Boso Peninsula. This amazing natural beach Kyujukuri with white sands stretches along the coast of the Pacific Ocean from the city of Asahi to the city of Isumi. Its length is 66 km. The etymology of the name of the beach is curious, which can be translated into Russian as “99 ri” (a Chinese measure of length equal to about 300 steps). According to legend, the first ruler of the Kamakura shogunate, the great Minamoto Yoritomo, wanted to measure the length of the coastline. On each ri, he fired an arrow from his bow to the next point. As a result, 99 arrows were fired, and the sandy edge of the coast was called "99 ri". Since the XX century. the beach has ceased to be used in economic activities for fishing or merchant ships. Now it is a place for beach holidays and sea sports. The beach is part of the National Natural Park and is protected by the state.

 

Fukushima

Fukushima 

 

Approximate date of release of the coin into circulation: May 7, 2016, the estimated number of issued coins: no more than 2000 thousand pieces.

The Fukushima Prefecture coin depicts ritual holiday Soma-Nomaoi (Equestrian Festival) and horses competing in speed. This ancient rite, which has a religious background, is held annually in the city of Soma, Fukushima Prefecture. In this area in the feudal period of history, the inheritance of Nakamura was located, headed by the samurai clan of Soma. Warriors Nakamura were excellent riders, they also bred an excellent breed of horses, so the Soma cavalry units took part in many battles. It is not known exactly when this holiday began to be held, but in the Edo period (XVII-XIX centuries) it became very popular. After Emperor Meiji came to power in 1868, the Soma clan was defeated, the horse festivals ceased to be held, and the horses were sold out.
In 1878, a special permit was obtained from the Ministry of the Interior of Japan for the restoration of horse breeding.
The festival depicted on the obverse of the coin takes place in July and is a reconstruction of battle scenes involving cavalry. 500 armed samurai riders in full military attire act out scenes from the era of samurai wars. Many tourists from all over Japan come to see this spectacle. The culmination of the holiday is a speed contest, when the 10 strongest riders, dressed in all armor, must gallop a 1000-meter distance at speed.

 

Tokyo

Tokyo 

 

Approximate date of release of the coin into circulation: May 7, 2016, the estimated number of issued coins: no more than 2000 thousand pieces.

The series of coins is completed by the capital of Japan - the city of Tokyo, equated in terms of administrative division to the prefecture. The coin dedicated to Tokyo depicts the ancient brick building of Tokyo Central Station Maru-no-uchi and Gyoko Street, leading from the station building to the Imperial Palace. The first building of the Tokyo station was built in 1914 as a model of Western architecture and a symbol of a modernized Japan that is not inferior to the advanced countries of the West.
In 1945, the building was badly damaged by air raids. The restoration and restoration of the building took many years, and in 2012 the building was completely restored to its original form. Currently, the new station building, adjacent to the old one, is also functioning. It is the transportation heart of Tokyo. There are 18 train tracks, 10 Shinkansen tracks, and an underground subway station. Gyoko Street connects the old station building with the gate to the Imperial Garden. This is the "face" of Tokyo. It is along this street that foreign delegations and the first persons of states visiting Tokyo on official visits pass, Japanese ceremonies are also held here.